Friday, January 2, 2015

Episode 2

As promised...








All the packaging done by Midtown was top notch, and I know because I work for a packaging company, they actually bought this box from the company I work for.


I got the three Trade Paper Backs on top, and two issues of Image Comics' The Fade Out in addition to 50 self sealing bags and boards.


I heard about this series a few months ago on Comic Book Resources, CBR.com.  An old Hollywood crime drama, right up my alley.  As I mentioned in Episode 1, my LCS only had the second issue, but Midtown had issues 1 and 3 which allowed me to get up to date on this series.

This is the first collected volume of the year long weekly Bat-book event.  They were already pretty far in by the time I decided to purchase print comics.  Lucky for me DC decided to put out a collected edition.  It collects 21 issues so it may take me awhile to get through, but I look forward to it none the less.

Since I began reading comics, I have always tried to find a Superman story that wasn't too over the top.  It's not that I don't like those stories, I just wanted to read a more grounded, no pun intended, story.  Everywhere I looked, this one was raved about.  I haven't been the biggest fan of the author, Grant Morrison, but I think that I may have found something of his to connect to.


All Star Western was a title that was recommended to me by a local shop owner set up at a local comic con.  He told me that the book, even though told through the main character of Jonah Hex, focused on Gotham city in its infancy.  He was right, and the first TPB I got was a lot of fun, similar to Indiana Jones and a Clint Eastwood movie.  This volume 2 picks up where the first left off, and ties into an early New 52 event which introduced The Court of Owls.  

Now that I previewed these books, I will have to do a more formal review, nothing too extensive though.  Wouldn't it be awesome to do something like that for a living?  Since I don't, I will have to juggle these into an already seemingly heavy schedule and on top of that prefer to read in the morning.

...Oh, what's that, as I began to upload the pictures for this post, my little one woke up.  I feel bad because she has been either teething or a little under the weather for a few days now.  Her discomfort breaks my heart, and I feel for my wife who is lucky enough to stay home with her but must juggle her moods.

That is what family is all about though, caring for each other and doing what is necessary for the whole.  We are very blessed here and I try not to take it for granted, not only do I have a terrific little thing going, I have a neat hobby to occupy what little free time I have.    

Stay tuned for the next episode to find out what happens next, or just to see if I opened these books.  Until then, I'm off...

No comments:

Post a Comment